International air freight follows a standardized system of appropriately measuring packages and consignments for international air travel. This system is followed by all courier companies regardless of their geographic location across the globe. DHL, FedEx, UPS and TNT calculate their cubic weight using a set of standard formula to convert volume into cubic weight.
So, what are the basic standards to measure the weight of any luggage before sending it as courier.
The correct package weight is measured with these formulas:
– (Length x Width x Height) in Centimeters / 5000 = Cubic Weight in Kilograms.
– (Length x Width x Height) in Inches / 139 = Cubic Weight in Pounds.
– The higher the Cubic Weight or Actual Weight for shipping purposes.
– Shipments with longer sides exceeding 120cm attract extra costs due to extra handling charges.
Why does it matter to ensure proper packaging and weighing: packaging may affect the cost of your courier especially if size is higher than standard shipping size admissible. According to these guides from DHL, UPS, and FedEx, you can measure your package and pack it accordingly to reduce cost.
DHL – Weight: Takes into account the strength and durability of the packaging box. The right box should securely hold the weight of the contents being shipped.
Size and shape: Items must not touch the outer wall of the box. Uniquely shaped packaging may need extra attention and detail.
UPS – Weight: unlimited weight limit or number of pages allowed as long as the envelope closes. UPS Express Envelope is only for documents with no commercial value. The applicable rates are based on the total actual weight or the total dimensional weight of all packages in a shipment, whatever is greater. It is also dictated by the actual destination rates based on the total actual weight, total dimensional weight of all packages in a shipment, whatever is greater. It also dictated by the actual destination. Rates are based on the total actual weight or the total dimensional weight of all packages in a shipment, whatever is greater, and the actual destination
FEDEx – gives detailed general packaging guidelines including measuring, weighing, packing, sealing, and labelling guidelines.
Couriers to India – You can ship any package size and weight as long as you abide by the standard guidelines set for packaging and measurements
Advantages of Measuring and Packing Right with Couriers to India.
– By ensuring your package or courier is securely packed with strong cardboard boxes and bubble wraps your safeguard fragile items from moving inside the package. Loosely packed items can get damaged, break, or totally disintegrate.
– It is easy to send packages by following these standard measuring and packaging guidelines as they smoothen courier services.
– Fragile items packed with 8 cm of bubble wrap in the packaging improve their chances of arriving with zero damage like scratches, cracks, or even discoloration.
It must be noted that with couriers to India, keeping the weighing and packaging guidelines will simplify check-in and delivery hurdles.